Golden Coconut Turmeric Lentil Chickpea Soup is vegan, gluten free, and incredibly creamy. Made with winter vegetables, sweet potatoes, lentils, chickpeas, and spinach, this spiced, earthy soup is so rich and satisfying!
| vegan + gluten free + dairy free |
Tell me: are you ready for soup & stew season or WHAT?!
I’m pretty sure the entire last month has been all about satisfying (but healthy) soups, chili, and comfort foods. As we get ready to bundle up for winter, it’s like our souls all of a sudden crave heavy, delicious comfort foods. Soothing broths and soups, things that reset our bodies and make us feel warm from the inside out.
And since Thanksgiving was just yesterday, we are ALLLL about those comfort foods! How was your Thanksgiving?! We spent this year with my family and it was seriously AH-MAZING! I brought along some Pan-Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Orange Glaze and Pumpkin Pie Truffles!
So tell me: are you into the whole Black Friday shopping thing? I definitely am not. Why get up at 2 a.m. when I can shop online in my PJs with a cinnamon roll and a cup of coffee?
Anyway… as we come into the winter season, it’s all things comfort food. And I’m adding this Golden Coconut Turmeric Lentil Chickpea Soup to your repertoire!
If you’re anything like me, you’re definitely in need of comfort foods that are lighter and healthier, yet still incredibly satiating. Things like…
- Paleo Curried Shepherd’s Pie (vegan option with lentils!)
- Paleo Sweet Potato Noodle “Ramen” Bowls
- Turkey Poblano Chili
- Vegan Cashew Korma Curry
There are sooooo many wonderful things about this soup.
It’s not only lighter, incredibly creamy, a little spicy (from the turmeric and curry powder), earthy and flavorful, but it’s also a budget meal.
In fact, this entire meal costs less than $5 per serving!
I realize that there are a TON of recipes around the Internet very similar to this one. But this particular soup was adapted from Angela over at Oh She Glows. I’ve been reading Angela’s blog for years and love her take on food. You’ll see that I changed some things up, but it’s just as delicious (and has more spices!) as the original.
Feel free to customize this Golden Coconut Turmeric Lentil Chickpea Soup, too!
- Add diced red bell peppers
- If not vegan, add shredded chicken and omit the chickpeas
- Swap the sweet potatoes for butternut squash or white potatoes
- Add a can of diced tomatoes
- Add more coconut milk to make it creamier! (or blend in 1/2 c. soaked cashews!)
An easy, vegan, gluten free, budget dinner that comes together in less than 30 minutes!
How to Meal Prep It:
- Chop your onion, carrots, and sweet potatoes ahead of time; this will save you some time in the kitchen the day you’re making this soup
- Lentils only take about 20 minutes to cook, so that’s a no-brainer
- If you’re adding chicken, cook and shred it in the slow cooker the night before!
Why This Soup is Healthy:
I can’t let you off the hook without chatting about health benefits!
Remember a few months ago when I posted this Zucchini Lentil Salad with Mint Tahini Dressing? It was meant to help you get your 1/2 cup of pulses every day! Well, here’s another recipe for that!
PLUS. One serving of this Golden Coconut Turmeric Lentil Chickpea Soup has 12 grams of fiber!
- LENTILS: Lentils are naturally high in protein and lower in carbohydrates, making them a great vegan source of protein! Lentils contain high amounts of insoluble fiber, which can help lower cholesterol, improve digestion, and stabilize blood sugar.
- SWEET POTATOES: Sweet potatoes are especially high in B-vitamins, Vitamin C, and Vitamin A. They contain beta-carotene, a precursor to Vitamin A. This is a powerful antioxidant and helps fight inflammation and reduce free radical formation in the body. Because they’re a complex carbohydrate, sweet potatoes also help stabilize blood sugar by elongating the blood sugar curve. Plus, they’re insanely good with peanut butter (not a health benefit; don’t care.)
- CHICKPEAS: Chickpeas pack a powerful nutritional punch. They’re high in plant-based protein and fiber, supporting a healthy immune system, reducing inflammation, and stabilizing blood sugar. Again, these are a complex carbohydrate, so they’re even great for people with diabetes or prediabetes. Chickpeas are high in fiber, which helps you stay full for quite a while!
- SPINACH: Spinach is one of the best anti-inflammatory foods. It’s super high in Vitamin K, which helps the blood clotting process. Spinach, along with other leafy greens like kale, watercress, collard greens, and cruciferous vegetables, provide anti-inflammatory benefits which helps reduce the risk for cancer. It can boost immunity, lower blood pressure, and improve your heart health, too!
- TURMERIC: Another incredibly powerful anti-inflammatory “food”, this spice is traditionally found in Indian cuisine. The anti-inflammatory benefits of this golden spice can work even better than over-the-counter NSAIDs to reduce inflammation, making it beneficial in chronic diseases like osteoarthritis and joint pain. It may also help reduce the risk of blood clots and improve skin health. Turmeric is also a mood-booster in that it helps reduce depression symptoms!
From a nutritional standpoint, this Golden Coconut Turmeric Lentil Chickpea Soup is a real powerhouse!
And it’s just as delicious as it sounds!
If you haven’t cooked with turmeric much, don’t freak. This recipe uses a full tablespoon but I promise it’s SO SO gooooooood! You can purchase fresh turmeric in the produce section of your grocery store, or ground and bottled in the spice aisle. I prefer to keep ground turmeric on hand because it lasts forever.
I absolutely adore this Golden Coconut Turmeric Lentil Chickpea Soup for the upcoming winter. I’m definitely not a winter-lover. That first snowfall is about all I need, and then I’m basically over it. Okay, that’s a lie – I do like my white Christmases. But then I’m over it. Weather-wise, anyway.
I love winter for its cozy feels – giant sweaters, scented candles, the fireplace going, Mom’s baking… but I get tired of sub-freezing temperatures reallllllllly fast. Sometimes the only thing that keeps me going is comfort food like this soup! I can’t wait for you to feel just as cozy!
And then polishing off this soup with a slice of Chocolate Hazelnut Tart (or two).
Pin this Golden Coconut Turmeric Lentil Chickpea Soup for later!
This incredibly creamy, comforting soup is so right for winter! Vegan, gluten free, and dairy free!
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 Tbsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 c. green lentils, rinsed
- 4-5 c. vegetable broth
- 1 (14-oz.) can full fat coconut milk, shaken
- 1 (14-oz.) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3-4 oz. fresh spinach
Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, sweet potatoes, and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender and slightly translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Stir in the garlic, curry powder, turmeric, cumin, and salt. Saute the vegetables and spices until spices are fragrant, another 1-2 minutes.
Increase the heat to high; add the lentils, broth, and coconut milk. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered, 20-25 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are fork-tender and lentils are done. During the last 5 minutes, add the chickpeas and heat through. Remove from heat and stir in the spinach until it wilts.
Serve with cilantro and more coconut milk if desired.
Nutrition Information per Serving:
Calories: 365 Protein: 10g Carbs: 44g Fat: 17g Fiber: 12g
Recipe loosely adapted from Oh She Glows